Friday, January 6, 2012

CBM Beauty Tip #2

In addition to Larissa's great money-saving tip for soap-y products (although personally I would replace the liquid softsoap with Dr. Bronner's), we have also been trying a replacement for shampoo and conditioner recommended by our squad leader at the Food Coop: baking soda and vinegar!

I was pretty doubtful - after all, I have long, highly over-washed and over-conditioned hair, and I like it that way.  But our squad leader told us her #1 beauty product is baking soda: she uses it to brush her teeth (ok, that I had heard of), as face scrub (hadn't heard of it, but makes sense), and as shampoo (what?!?). And that she uses apple cider vinegar as a replacement for conditioner (seriously?!?!).

Trying to put my skepticism aside, I took a closer look at her skin and hair, and have to admit that they are both quite lovely. So I decided to give it a go myself.

For the shampoo, you wet your hair as you normally do and then put about a tablespoon of baking powder in your hand and massage it into your scalp, then rinse as you normally do.  I absolutely LOVE this, and will keep this one well past CBM.

For the conditioner, I've just been kind of pouring organic apple cider vinegar on my head and hair.

This one I'm less sure about, and it may just last for CBM only, although the jury is still out on it's performance. I find it hard to use (since it's not viscous like conditioner and so just runs through my fingers/hair) and the smell is, well, not what I'm used to. However, although it doesn't de-tangle quite the way that conditioner does, my hair is really soft all day. To counter the smell, I've been spraying my hair with a water and lavender oil mixture that we use on Sasha's hair every day (see Larissa's post below about daycare + lice prophylaxis!).


Bottom line: while I'm not sure I can recommend that you replace your conditioner, I highly recommend that you give the baking soda shampoo a try. You might just find a lifetime of shampoo-savings is in store for you!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I love using baking soda to clean so I will definitely try it to wash my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rebecca - in my defense, I bought that ganga Softsoap container BEFORE I even joined the co-op (more than ten years ago - talk about getting my money's worth), before I even met my husband actually! It's moved with me three times! When it needs to be replaced (probably in the next two years at the rate we're going now) I'll definitely get some Dr. Bronners :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I'm Xine's friend Jennifer and I'm a thrifty gal too :-) I use the vinegar rinse for my hair - I put a tablespoon or so in a pint jar & fill it with warm water in the shower. It's much easier to use that way. It removes soap residues, which is why it softens your hair (vinegar is great as a fabric softener also). I add a drop or two of lavender oil to my hair vinegar to mask the smell and sometimes follow up with a rosewater spray. I will def try the baking soda shampoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has got me wondering what could be added to the vinegar conditioner to make it more viscous like we're used to conditioners being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @vintagecookbookmaven - great idea regarding how to use the vinegar; I am now recalling that our squad leader said to dilute it in water. Maybe that will make the smell a bit more palatable (although I have to admit that I might just get used to it, as it was less appalling to me today).

    ReplyDelete