Sunday, January 8, 2012

Financial Obsessions

I'm not motivated by money. Even though I dream of having more money, it's just not what motivates me to make decisions; after all, I work for a non-profit and couldn't imagine going to work every day if it weren't for some cause that I believe is at least in some small way working to make the world a better place.

Still, I am fraught with financial obsessions, most of them involving having more money in some form or another to provide a financial cushion to my family in case anything ever happens to me, or to ensure that financial constraints aren't a barrier in my old(er) age.


To feed my obsession, a fairly large chunk of my salary goes directly into a 403(b) [the non-profit version of a 401(k)], and I fantasize about increasing the size of my life insurance plans (one through work that is free to me, and one small one that I pay each month).

While my partner doesn't like to talk through depressing scenarios, it actually helps me to sleep knowing that we have planned for worst case scenarios. In 2011, that meant finally talking through the issues - and shelling out the money - to deal with creating will, trust and guardianship documents (even more important because we aren't married - and have no desire to get married - so some things that are automatic for straight married couples require legal paperwork for us). I want us to do whatever we can to ensure our daughter is well-cared for no matter what happens to us, and, being older parents with an only child, that we minimize the toll on her as we get into our "wisdom years." 

Along those lines, my latest obsession is getting long-term care insurance for both my partner and me. I've recently watched both my parents go through long-term care situations with their parents: my maternal grandfather was able to stay in his home with 24 hour care until he died at 94, while my paternal grandmother is currently in a nursing home.

These obsessions are part of the cash flow constraints that we're facing. The long-term care insurance plan we are in the process of purchasing is going to add $150/month to our expenses...for the next 45 years or so (fingers crossed that neither of us needs it before we're well into our 80s)! And that is money we simply don't have right now, so part of our goal with CBM is to find that extra $150.

What are your financial obsessions and how do you feed them?

No comments:

Post a Comment